The Emmaus Archive Institute exists to promote the legacy of Bernard Huijbers and Huub Oosterhuis by creating a library for preservation and a laboratory for innovation. This library, or archive, will physically exist within the Alcuin Library on the campus of St. John’s University (SJU) in Collegeville, Minnesota near St. Cloud.
SJU was founded in 1857 for male students by the Benedictine monks of Saint John’s Abbey, who emigrated from Bavaria, Germany. In 1955 SJU began offering joint evening classes with a sister school, the College of St. Benedict in St. Joseph, Minnesota, which opened in 1913. The relationship expanded in 1961, and since then the two institutions have shared a common academic program. Men and women attend coed classes taught by a joint faculty.